Monday, October 12, 2009

Why Does A Networked Student Need A Teacher?

Wow!

I suppose I should stop taking these videos so personally. The video itself was not that offensive. It gave an overview of how the "networked" student learns. The title is what troubles me. I feel its a bit misleading, but its very thought provoking, I suppose, if you have no confidence in your potency as an educator. Are you a little confused? That's ok, I'll guide you through the jungle that is my mental reasoning.

First of all, this is a good little video about networking. It discuses how students learn through using resources that included websites, educators, and other media to help learn about the subject in question. The video could have used a little more technological approach to the video, or at least used a higher resolution camera so I could read what the papers said. Never the less, I give this video a mediocre thumbs up.

Now for the soap box! I am sick of computers and their handlers taunting humans and threatening their livelihoods! All of you nerds who thought none of us normal people would ever learn how to use your computers got pissed when we did, so now you are trying to perpetuate the idea that only technology can save us all because you are to socially awkward to talk to a human being! Jesus, why don’t you go to the park once in a awhile! Once again I have to ask, what is so wrong with speaking to a human being who knows what you want to know face to face rather than through a lap top? I know its sort of kinda the same thing, but that's the problem with the world today; we are to accustomed to synthetic life. We have make believe radio stations ( podcasts), we have make believe meeting areas (Myspace , chat, i.m. , facebook, twitter etc.), we even have make believe farms! My point is we must take the best of both worlds and stop being so enveloped with how much technology can I use to teach this lesson, but rather what is the best way altogether to teach it.

... and that, America, is what grinds my gears. Diane

2 comments:

  1. Justin,

    Thank you for the invitation to your blog and the mediocre thumbs up...I think. In any case, despite an air of defensiveness and touch of neo-luddism, I can completely concur with your last sentence. "We must take the best of both worlds and stop being so enveloped in how much technology can I use to teach this lesson, but rather what is the best way altogether to teach it." It's never about the tool. It's always about the instructional design. I'm assuming you are in an educational technology course. I think it's reasonable to expect a focus on technology. Hopefully, you are getting a well rounded understanding of pedagogy in your program that will help you recognize the best method of teaching for a given situation, whether that includes technology or not. Finally, I would prefer to consider myself among the "normal" people. Then again, who of us is really normal anyway?

    Best,
    Wendy Drexler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up on your meaning Justin and chuckled at it.

    ReplyDelete